Well, a hard decision has been made; and that is NOT to go ahead with the move to our proposed new studio adjacent to Raft Artspace in Alice Springs. BHE was to have established the silkscreen equipment and one of our larger etching presses there in March, but we have decided to consolidate all the studio gear at our workshop in Braidwood over the next few months and operate from there.
Most people I have discussed this with have agreed that it was going to be a big ask for one man to run both places, but I still believe that the Alice Springs base, at the right time, would be a great idea in terms of servicing the art centres in Central Australia. However, for the time being, it makes more economic sense to travel to workshops in NT, WA and SA as I have always done, and return to Braidwood to edition the prints in a temperate climate that is more conducive to printing.
I’d really like to apologise to all of the artists, galleries and associated art centres and businesses who supported our move to Alice Springs and who have been so welcoming and helpful over the last 12 months of negotiations. If only the time was right!